OMC-FLASH JES2 Spool Management
OMC-FLASH Delivers Powerful JES2 Spool Viewing and Control for z/OS Shops Migrating to JES2
OMC-FLASH is a high-performance solution to view and manage the entire JES2 spool environment,
including jobs, output, resources, workflow, and operations.
With IBM’s announcement to phase out support for JES3 in future z/OS releases, many JES3 shops are
planning to migrate to JES2 in the future. OMC-FLASH is a powerful and proven solution that provides the critical capabilities JES2 shops require to manage their spool environment.
“OMC-FLASH has become a very powerful JES2 tool. The OPERLOG performance is really great, and the EVENTLOG / STEPDATA is definitely one of our favorite features. The new JobClass Panel is in one word: Excellent!” — Largest insurer of private households in Germany
High Performance Spool Viewing and Control
OMC-FLASH utilizes a high performance data collection strategy to provide JES2 information without copying or respooling. Further, OMC-FLASH is designed to optimize interaction with JES to provide the most efficient, effective JES2 management solution available.
Using the intuitive ISPF interface, OMC-FLASH users easily control job processing, personalize job and output displays, and rapidly locate and access spool information. Users can browse up to the second job status and details, and instantaneously retrieve spooled output before, during and after job execution.
OMC-FLASH provides a seamless transition for users migrating to JES2, offering the exact look and feel as the familiar JES3 version of OMC-FLASH. No retraining is necessary – a huge advantage for busy staff that must maximize their efficiency.
OMC-FLASH Extensive Job and Output Control Capabilities
OMC-FLASH enables users to customize job selection preferences and save the preferred selection profile for future sessions. Users can also specify exact job and output viewing criteria, to present job information and output in their preferred format, with options to further process the output selected.
OMC-FLASH selection criteria includes 12 JOBNAME Masks, 8 Owner IDs, 8 System IDs, and 8 Filter Names that can be immediately specified to focus the display on the desired information. Further, when selecting by output criteria, 8 OUTPUT classes, 8 Forms, 8 Destinations, 8 Writer names, 8 FCB names and 8 UCS names can be specified to display the desired information.
OMC-FLASH Delivers Comprehensive Job and Output Control Capabilities:
- Control and manage JES2 jobs across the input, execution, and output queues.
- Customize Job selection from JES by destination, owner, system, writer and/or job class, or any field criteria.
- View and process Jobs, Tasks, and Spooled Output, including batch jobs, started tasks, TSO users, APPC jobs, active tasks, held and non-held output.
- Personalize displays through the CONFIG facility to present Jobs and output with the exact fields, titles, column sizes, and position desired, as well as freeze columns, and specify colors.
- Display an extensive list of JES and Job related fields that include Spool Utilization, as well as Service Class, SRB usage, TCB Usage, total STEP count, and more.
- Set highlighting colors and modes, both generally or based on field values, and apply to specific fields or entire lines to rapidly recognize and locate significant information.
- Fully control Job output, including browse, cut & paste, sort, find, print, copy to disk dataset, hold, requeue, delete, and more.
- Define and save up to 10 Copy profiles, with unique COPY processing parameters for different types of output, and recall those profiles on demand to expedite output processing.
- Utilize Specification History for functions such as Copy, Search, and Commands that can be reused anytime.
- Control print and print devices via the Printer Status Display, including stop, start, restart, requeue, forward/backward space, vary on/off, or cancel.
- Execute OMC-FLASH functions in BATCH mode using the BATCH Utility, including Batch COPY to copy data from large jobs to a specified output file without the TSO session delays often associated with large copy operations.
- Utilize the OMC-FLASH REXX API to perform repetitive or common OMC-FLASH tasks automatically, and customize desired actions.
OMC-FLASH Operations and Resource Management
OMC-FLASH delivers extensive control of JES2 operations and spool resources, including capabilities to manage initiators, printers, and workflows throughout the JES complex. Facilities include:
- Active and Historical SYSLOG Display with Global and Local display options.
- Spool Volume Display to view and control utilization of JES spool volumes.
- Display Console Facility to securely view and utilize the system operator’s console from authorized users’ workstations.
- Dynamic CPU Utilization Display provides a graphical, dynamically updated view of current CPU resource utilization, jobs and processes.
- EVENTLOG Display to view SMF 30 data for a job.
- USS Status Display to view USS processes, scroll left/right, issue USS line commands and view results.
- WLM Scheduling environment & resource display to view and control scheduling environments, along with jobs executing.
- SYSPLEX Coupling Facility support using XCF for data communications between global and local OMC-FLASH servers.
- JES Initiator Display to view and change Initiator status.
- IBM Health Checker for z/OS support to view Health Checker output and information, and make temporary changes to check states and values.
- MVS and JES command support to easily issue MVS or JES system operator commands directly from the OMC-FLASH command line.
- Expanded OPERLOG viewing facility to view operator commands, responses, and console information across multiple SYSPLEX systems.
- COPY profiles and COPY Command History panel to quickly re-use previous copy requests for subsequent copy operations.
- PROCLIB display to show the current JES and MVS PROCLIB allocations.
- Operator Command History panel to display the history of operator commands executed, as well as a table of saved operator commands.
- Browse and Search Pattern History facilities to retrieve previously used search patterns and quickly re-use them.
OMC-FLASH JES2 User Feedback:
“Thank you so much to all of your team – you are doing an excellent job to deliver enhancements and new functions in a professional and high quality manner. A really big thank you to the developers for responding to our wishes so well and so quickly! We are really happy to have a great product with great support and great developers.” — Largest insurer of private households in Germany
OMC-FLASH is certified for all levels of z/OS, and is completely JES independent, requiring no modifications to either the host operating system or to ISPF.
Evaluate OMC-FLASH in Your JES2 Shop – See for yourself how OMC-FLASH for JES2 will increase your productivity.